Thursday, April 28, 2011

Response to Jen's article on "Why aren't ore poets political?"

1.What are your political concerns? Is there anything happening in the world beyond your self, that still effects you directly? Does this come into your work?
Tyranical rule, loss of human rights, ingnorance leading policy...
Religious political policy influences my work indirectly
2.What insights should artists provide? Do you agree that poets(artists) are "uniquely suited" to "speak publicly and morally about human aspirations"? I
I don't think artists are any more or less suited to speak about these things.  They just happen to have a more readily available soap box if they choose to use it.  
3. What does it mean to be politically active?  
It means to have an impact on dialogue and influence public policy
4.Are you able to relate to the work that I've made this year? What work? Do you relate it to any other artists or movements?
I really relate to your most recent work with the collaged photos.  I'm really interested in the new landscapes/environements you created using photographs and it felt like it was in a new space.  I can't think of any movements it relates to at the moment.
5. What do you think would make my work better? 
I would love to see what new type of work you would create through collaboration.  
6.Do you think some of my work can be political, even if I don't say it is, or take a specific position? Is this an effective way of discussing work? 
I think it can be, just not directly or with a specific agenda
7.Does my work provide any insight? 
Not just from looking at it.  Although utilizing a paper such as the Times in your work has a lot of political and social implications.