Why is meditative patterning an important part of my art?
It can be a nice release to get lost in the process of making work
Do you think it is possible gain an unaffected state of mind, even for a moment, through meditative drawing?
yes, when you remove the decision making process from creating art, you brain can take a rest.
What role does subtlety play in my art?
I think the subtlety lies in the connection between the style of your ink pieces and their connection to advertisements and billboard design. Your pieces follow some of the principles of ad design, but you do not attempt to mimic advertisements nor use the space to sell a product. The absurdity of the text and patterning makes the work much more subtle and enjoyable.
How does the ephemeral quality of paper deal with the idea of impermanence?
There is a contrast between the short lifespan of the paper and the permanence of the inks being used. Over time, the contrast will more visible and I enjoy the idea that you address this issue. Making artwork with a shelf life is very interesting and beautiful if not alien concept to me considering my work may never degrade while it lives on the internet.
How do you view spectacle in relation to pop culture?
Without spectacle, there is no pop culture.
What is the difference between survival and existence?
survival-food, water, shelter
existence-everything else
How do you view previous generations and their opinion of art, taking into consideration the statements made in this article?
Sometimes I feel that they can be slow to adopt new ideas in art and rely to heavily on art history for their opinions, but I'm sure they can have the opposite problem with me. There also seems to be a heavy emphasis of the old gallery process which I feel needs to die a quick death.
How has civilization compromise autonomy?
There is prevalent idea of the encroaching nanny state in which the more "civilized" society dictates control over the individual like a mother. I do not think we have reached that point yet, but we are faced with issues of self control that should be up to us to decide, such as drug use and suicide, but instead are controlled by the state.