1. What does de Zengotita mean by "optional"? What is a good example (your own, of course, not his) of "real"? What is an example of "mediated".
Optional refers to choice and the ability to choose between two or more options. Touch to me is a crutial example of the real. With touch, you can determine minute intricacies that otherwise may not be perceived by sight alone. To be able to hold and feel is to perceive real. An example of a mediated experience could be a chat room. There are elements that are natural such as communication and emotion but they are experienced through another layer or plane of perception such as a video display or text.
2. OK, fellow mediated person, what is your constructed identity and lifestyle?
I've constructed the identity for myself of the comfortable artist who happens to have an interesting style without really trying.
3. de Zengotita writes, "Some people refuse to accept the fact that reality is becoming indistinguishable from representation in a qualitatively new way." Are you aware of this? yes I am aware that others are unable to accept that. Do you think about it? no What do you think about it?
I don't think there is a hierarchy on reality. Representational experiences are just a new reality we are learning to accept and both it and reality exist as real as the other. Or is this a pretty new idea for you? no If so, how do you feel about it? We've grown up with representational experiences as reality since we learned how to type and chat on a computer screen. Those outside of the digital divide may qualify it as a different or lesser experience than say talking to a friend on the phone, but for many, it is one and the same.
4. de Zengotita writes," The problem with trying to comprehend the process of mediation is that you can't get outside it." Can you imagine a way to get outside it? If that was your assignment, to get outside of the mediated world/environment, what would you do?
I believe all reality to be a mediated experience through our brain. To become removed would be to remove yourself from your reality. Psychedelics are the first idea that came to mind as a means to do this, but even that is a mediated experience. I think I would fail at this assignment.
Questions about my work in relationship to the reading: You can see my work on my website at kimrusso.net
1. I think my work has the "whatever" quality to it that de Zengotita describes. Do you agree?
Yes
2. I also think my work plays with the range between the real and fabricated/mediated that de Zengotita describes, and I present that range on a level playing field. Do you agree, or not--and why?
I agree, because you take the objects out of their normal surroundings and create a new mediated experience.
3. What else can I/should I do to more successfully describe, in my work, the mediated/optional environment we live in in America?
I don't think I can suggest anything else for you to add to your work
4. What is the similarity or difference between the "tone" of de Zengotita's writing/analysis and the "tone" of my drawings?
HIs tone seems to come from the point of view of a curmudgeon who wants nothing to do with new digital experience and feels nostalgic for a simpler time. Your work on the other hand seems less critical and more open to discussion