Critiques of Required Readings for my senior year in the Ringling Fine Arts Dept
Thursday, September 02, 2010
Agnes Martin Interview review
Agnes Martin Interview (20:00 version, 1997) from Chuck Smith on Vimeo.
I'm not sure if I agree with Martin's view on inspiration vs experiment. In my own work, its almost a chicken or egg scenario its hard to tell which came first. It was interesting to hear her describe music as the best art form, coming from a painter. I do agree that music is special in its ability for the viewer to respond emotionally without being intellectual. It was really humbling to be reminded that there is so much that really don't know; that we are still learning and need to act like it. As a video artist/animator, it was hard to relate to some of the painting topics she was discussing. It is amazing how far we have come since women were treated as second class artists.